Important: We post our plans for upcoming enhancement and fixes well in advance of their delivery to help system-to-system service providers plan for their own development efforts. We try our best to keep these documents current as our plans evolve. Please keep in mind that these are *draft* documents and are subject to change at any time.
Which opportunities are processed by NIH eRA systems/services?
We process applications posted in Grants.gov under the following Grants.gov agency codes:
The XML Extract that Grants.gov publishes daily includes agency code ("HHS-NIH11") and agency name ("National Institutes of Health") information. Although NIH posts all opportunities under the same agency code and agency name, others may have one agency name used for multiple agency codes.
Validations under Development
Current with production validations
Web Service Changes
- In response to your requests, we are updating the Person Information method response in the SADs web service to include Person ID and ORCID iD.
- Draft Client Transaction Guide - includes the new fields and their formats.
- Available in Ext-UAT on December 14, 2020
- Production release targeted for late Feb. 2021
Style Sheet Changes
The following style sheets will be updated in late February to correct an issue identified by a scanning tool for the Women Owned and Socially and Economically Disadvantaged tags. Nominal impact expected.
NIH requires the use of updated application forms (FORMS-F) for due dates on/after May 25, 2020.
- NOT-OD-20-026: New NIH "FORMS-F" Grant Application Forms and Instructions Coming for Due Dates on or after May 25, 2020
- NOT-OD-20-033: NIH and AHRQ Announce Upcoming Changes to Policies, Instructions and Forms for Research Training Grant, Fellowship, and Career Development Award Applications
- NOT-OD-20-090: Reminder: Changes to Forms and Instructions for Research Training Grant, Fellowship, and Career Development Award Applications for Applications Due on or After May 25, 2020
- FORMS-F Series Test Funding Opportunity Announcements
- PDFs, DATs, and schemas are posted on Grants.gov's R&R Family Forms Repository page
- High-level Summary of Form Changes in FORMS-F Application Packages (PDF)
- Preview of Grant Application Form Changes (FORMS-F) (PDF - 2 MB)
Processing Option for Competitive Revisions
Soon, a new FOA using a “332” activity/processing code will be posted to accept competitive revision applications. This will allow NIH institutes to accept competitive revision applications from current awardees without NIH having to post individual FOAs for each activity code.
The new 332 activity code allows us to process competitive revision applications using the processing rules associated with the parent award. We will use the Federal Identifier on the SF424 R&R form of the 332 revision application to look up the parent award and grab the activity code. We will then validate and process the application using the rules associated with that parent activity code. The Prior Grant Request operation in the Submission Agency Data Service (SADS) web service provides the information needed to mimic this behavior (see S2S Client Transaction Guide; note the operation requires the Federal Identifier, Application Type, Project Start Date, and Project End Date from the application).
We posted PAR-EO-332 in Grants.gov's training environment so you can test this functionality. You will need access to a Federal Identifier in UAT eRA Commons for an awarded grant with the same organization and PI. If this data is not available, please contact the eRA Service Desk for assistance.
ASSIST Integration with ClinicalTrials.gov
In January 2018 we added an ASSIST option for users to pre-populate parts of a human subjects/clinical trials study record from information in ClinicalTrials.gov based on an NCT number provided in field 1.5 of the PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information form. The following document may be of interest to folks who want to implement a similar feature within their services.