The ability to request a No Cost Extension requiring a prior approval and the ability to request a change of PD/PI will be available through the Prior Approval section in eRA Commons after a release scheduled for Thursday, March 2, 2017.
The Prior Approval tab was introduced to eRA Commons in September 2016 to initially provide an electronic option for executing a request for application withdrawal (see Guide Notice NOT-OD-143). In October 2016, the ability to request to submit an unsolicited application with $500K or more in direct costs was added to Prior Approval (see Guide Notice NOT-OD-17-005).
It is important to note that these features currently only apply to NIH awards. They are also an optional method. You should contact your awarding IC to determine the best method for making these requests before initiating either a No Cost Extension or Change of PD/PI.
- Prior Approval Request for No Cost Extension (NCE)
Signing Officials (SOs) will be able to request an NCE electronically through eRA Commons via Prior Approval.
When is a grant eligible for a NCE through Prior Approval?
- When an NCE under expanded authority has already been used and the grant is within 90 days of the project end date.
- When the grantee is not under expanded authority and the grant is within 90 days of the project end date.
- When the project end date has expired and has not been closed or has not entered unilateral closeout, whichever comes first.
When is a grant NOT eligible for a NCE through Prior Approval?
- When an NCE under expanded authority has never been requested and the grant is within 90 days of the project end date. In this case,
- the NCE will be processed normally through the Extension link in Status.
- When the grant is closed.
- When the grant is a fellowship grant.
What information will an SO need to provide?
The NCE request form includes:
- Request Detail – Here you will be asked such things as the number of months you wish to extend the project end date; the amount of unobligated money still available, etc.
- Three PDF upload fields: Progress Report, Budget Document, Justification Document
- The NCE request form includes:
Contact the awarding IC for details on the content of these documents.
- Prior Approval Request for Change of PD/PI
Signing Officials (SOs) can initiate the request for a Change of Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) electronically through eRA Commons via Prior Approval.
The following conditions must be met for a grant to be eligible for a Change of PD/PI Request:
- The grant is awarded, and the Project Period End Date has not passed.
- The grant is not a Fellowship or Career.
The details for the request require some basic information:
- Who is being replaced, removed or added to the grant?
- What will their level of effort be?
- What is the effective start date for the requested changes?
Additionally, some files will need to be uploaded as an attachment to the request.
- Biosketch for any new PD/PI
- Other Support for any new PD/PI
- Justification Document
Once the request is submitted, the system creates a PDF of all the submitted information and sends a notification to the SO, the Grants Management Specialist, and Program Officer so they can review the request.
NOTE: Principal Investigators cannot see Change of PD/PI Requests.
Please note that the subsequent review and approval process remains the same.
Following the release, please look for details and screenshots in the eRA Commons Online Help.