Overview of No-Cost Extension
What is the purpose?
The No-Cost Extension feature, accessed via eRA Commons, is an electronic means for a grantee organization to electronically submit a notification that they have exercised their one-time authority to extend without funds the final budget period of a project period of a grant. This extension can be up to 12 months in additional time. This assumes all internal review and approval processes at the grantee organization have already taken place.
Figure 1: The No-Cost-Extension form via the Prior Approval module is for NIH grants only.
Figure 2: The No-Cost-Extension form via the Status module available to NIH and AHRQ recipients.
What are the features?
- Accessible directly through eRA Commons
- The link in Status automatically appears 90 days before the project end date
- An email notification is automatically sent to agency staff when the grantee submits the extension notification
- Upon receipt of the notification, the budget and project period end dates are updated to reflect the extension of the respective grant record.
Who can use the No-Cost Extension feature?
- Signing Officials at the grantee organization.