Overview of the eRA Commons
eRA Commons is an online interface where grant applicants, grantees and federal staff at NIH and grantor agencies can access and share administrative information relating to research grants.
The functions available to a user in Commons are based on the ‘role’ associated with their eRA Commons account (see eRA Commons Roles).
eRA Commons users, based on their role, can conduct a variety of business in Commons, including:
- Track the status of their grant applications through the submission process, view errors and/or warnings and check the assembled grant image.
- View summary statements and score letters following the initial review of their applications.
- View notice of award and other key documents.
- Submit Just-in-Time information (SO only) requested by the grantor agency prior to a final award decision.
- Submit the required documentation, including the Financial Status Report/Federal Financial Report and final progress report, to close out the grant.
- Submit a No-Cost Extension notification (SO only) that the grantee has exercised its one-time authority to extend without funds the final budget period of a project period of a grant.
- Submit an annual progress report electronically for SNAP and Fellowship awards using the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR). See Note below.
- Look for the Non-Competing Grant Progress Report (PHS 2590) Instructions on the NIH Forms & Applications page
- Submit a streamlined annual progress report electronically, provided the grantee institution is eligible to submit one under the Electronic Streamlined Non-competing Award (eSNAP) process. See Note below.
NOTE: The use of the eSNAP module will soon be discontinued. Progress reports for applications subject to SNAP and for Fellowships must be submitted electronically using the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) for awards with start dates on or after July 1, 2013 (i.e., due dates on or after May 15, 2013, for SNAP awards and May 1, 2013, for Fellowships). The RPPR is a federal-wide progress report that is replacing eSNAP.
See the RPPR webpage and Guide Notice NOT-OD-13-035 for information.