Overview of the eRA Commons
eRA Commons is an online interface where grant applicants, grantees and federal staff at NIH and grantor agencies
can access and share administrative information relating to research grants.
The functions available to a user in Commons are based on the ‘role’ associated with their eRA Commons
account (see eRA Commons Roles).
eRA Commons users, based on their role, can conduct a variety of business in Commons, including:
- Track the status of their grant applications through the submission process, view errors and/or warnings
and check the assembled grant image.
- View summary statements and
score letters following the initial review of
- View notice of award and other key documents.
- Submit Just-in-Time
information (SO only) requested by the grantor agency prior to a final award decision.
- Submit the required documentation, including the Financial Status Report/Federal Financial Report and final progress report, to
close out the grant.
- Submit a No-Cost Extension notification (SO only) that the grantee has exercised its one-time authority
to extend without funds the final budget period of a project period of a grant.
- Submit an annual progress report electronically for SNAP and Fellowship awards using the Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR). See Note below.
- Look for the Non-Competing Grant Progress Report (PHS 2590) Instructions on the NIH Forms & Applications page
- Submit a streamlined annual progress report electronically, provided the grantee institution is eligible to submit one under the Electronic Streamlined Non-competing Award (eSNAP) process. See Note below.
UPDATE: The Research Performance Progress Report (RPPR) is now required for progress reports on applications subject to SNAP and for electronically submitted Fellowships. RPPR replaced the eSNAP progress reports for SNAP awards and PHS 416-6 for Fellowship progress reports in May, and will eventually replace the use of the PHS 2590 for non-SNAP awards. For more information, please see the RPPR web page and the Guide Notice NOT-OD-13-061.