What is the purpose?
ASSIST (https://public.era.nih.gov/assist) is NIH's online system for the preparation, submission and tracking of grant applications through Grants.gov to NIH.
What are the features?
- Secure web-based data entry
- Collaboration of multiple users
- Pre-submission validation of many NIH and Grants.gov business rules1
- Pre-population of data from eRA Commons profiles
- Pre-submission print/preview of application in NIH format
- Submission status tracking for both Grants.gov and eRA Commons within a single system
- Ability to import subaward budget data from external sources
- Ability to copy application data from one announcement to another
What are the benefits to Applicants?
- Access to the application from anywhere there is internet access!
- Multi-user solution promotes collaboration
- Leverages existing eRA Commons credentials
What are the benefits to Staff?
- Captures application data in eRA systems, facilitating application administration, analysis, and reuse
- Presents clear, color PDF images including system-generated data summaries for review and funding consideration
- Ensures standard application structure
- Provides immediate availability of subproject data in multi-project applications
1Although many business rules are systematically checked, additional Grants.gov validations (e.g., verifying active SAM registration) and manual NIH compliance checks are performed post-submission before an application is fully accepted by NIH for consideration.