Reviewers must identify any conflicts of interest they may have with any of the key personnel on grant applications they will be reviewing. Reviewers are required to electronically certify the pre-meeting form in IAR before participating in the review meeting. Reviewers who do not electronically certify the pre-meeting COI certification in IAR will not be allowed to submit critiques, criterion scores and preliminary scores.
If a recertification is required, say if a new conflict is found, the system will prevent reviewers from moving forward until the recertification is in place. A recertification is also needed if the meeting date has changed; if the meeting agenda has changed from grants to contracts or vice versa; and if the designation of a reviewer has changed from federal reviewer to non-fed and vice versa.
An alert on key IAR screens will notify reviewers that they need to certify the pre-meeting COI certification if they have forgotten to do so or in case they need to recertify.
Basic Tasks (step by step instructions and screenshots):
- Pre-Meeting COI Certification (IAR online help)
- Quick Start Guide for Reviewers: Recertify Pre-Meeting COI
- Sample pre-and-post meeting COI certifications
- Pre-and-post meeting COI FAQs for reviewers
IAR for Reviewers Online Help
- IAR User Guides (if you want to print the entire user guide)
- NIH Conflict of Interest Rules - PDF- 161 kb (effective Oct. 31, 2018)
- Initial Peer Review Conflict of Interest Policy
- NIH Advance Notice: Revised Policy for Managing Conflict of Interest in the Initial Peer Review of NIH Grant and Cooperative Agreement Applications (NOT-OD-13-010)
- Grants: COI Reviewer Guidance (PDF - 36 KB)