The ability to electronically submit a carryover request to NIH will be available through the Prior Approval module in eRA Commons after a release scheduled on Thursday, June 8, 2017 after 5 p.m. Carryover allows leftover, unobligated grantee funds to be carried over from one budget year to another, and may require permission be obtained from the awarding IC.
The Prior Approval module currently supports the electronic submission of the following requests:
- Withdrawal of an application
- $500K or more in direct costs
- Change of PD/PI
- No Cost Extension requiring Prior Approval
It is important to note that these features are optional and currently apply only to NIH awards. You can learn more about these electronic submission options by reviewing the tutorials found at: https://era.nih.gov/era_training/era_videos.cfm#eracommons.
- Carryover Request
Only a Signing Official (SO) will be able to initiate the carryover request.
When is a grant eligible for a carryover request?
- The grant does not have expanded authority.
- The Project period has not ended or a no-cost extension (NCE) request has been submitted by the institution requesting additional time.
- The grant is not in closeout.
- The grant has not been closed.
- What information will an SO need to provide for a carryover request?
The carryover request form requires:
- Amount of funds to be carried over
- Explanation of unobligated balance
- Detailed Budget
- Scientific Justification
The high level steps In Prior Approval are as follows:
- A list of eligible grants will be displayed.
- The SO will pick a grant and initiate the request
- If there is an overdue Federal Financial Report for that grant, the system will issue a warning. The SO can choose to ignore the warning and continue. However, the FFR will have to be submitted before the carryover can be approved by the funding agency.
- If the SO wants to initiate a no cost extension request in tandem with the carryover request (and it is within 90 days of the project period end date), a button will allow the SO to do that without searching for the grant again.
Any clarifications and back and forth between the SO and the program official will occur outside of the system.
Please note that the subsequent review and approval process remains the same.
Following the release, please look for details and screenshots in the eRA Commons Online Help.
The video tutorial for the Prior Approval Carryover Request can be found at: