NIH Policy allows grantees a level of discretion when making changes to budgeting or grant-related activities. However, some changes require written prior approval.
The Prior Approval module lets principal investigators (PIs) and signing officials (SOs) respond to a 500K prior approval invitations from the granting agency or to withdraw from successfully submitted grant application that has not yet been awarded. In addition, SOs can also request a change of the PD/PI on a grant and request No Cost Extensions when the grant meets specific conditions.
Signing officials (SO) and program directors/principal investigators (PD/PIs) can access the Prior Approval module by logging into eRA Commons and then clicking Prior Approval in eRA Commons navigation.
To initiate a $500K request, first contact your program official. (See the 500K section for more detail.)
To access the Prior Approval module:
- Log in to eRA Commons.
- Navigate to the Prior Approval module.
- On the main Prior Approval screen, PIs can
- Initiate a Withdrawal Request
- Respond to a 500K invitation if one exists.
- See prior requests made by the PI using the List My Requests button.
Click here to view the PI version of the main Prior Approval screen.
- On the main Prior Approval screen, SOs can
- Initiate a Withdrawal Request, Change of PD/PI, No Cost Extension, or Carryover.
- List existing requests for the institution.
- Search for existing requests.
Click here to view the SO version of the main Prior Approval screen.