About the Institution
The About the Institution component of the Institution Profile lets you view information about your organization, such as DUNS and assurances numbers. If you hold the SO role within your organization, you can also edit this information.
Viewing About the Institution Information
You can view the information in the About the Institution component of the profile by:
- Clicking the component tile header
- Clicking the View button from the About the Institution component tile header
- Primary DUNS
- Secondary DUNS
- Federal-Wide Assurance Numbers
- Animal Welfare Assurance Number
- Organization Type
- Ownership Control
Editing About the Institution Information
Click the Edit button on the About Institution Information panel header to display all editable fields available in this component. The following fields are available for editing, but are not required:
- To add a secondary DUNS number to the profile, click the Add button to display text fields. Enter the required 9 digits into the first text field and the optional 4 digits (for 13-digit DUNS only) into the second text field.
- To edit a secondary DUNS number, simply update the value in the editable text fields.
- To remove a secondary DUNS, click the Remove button next to the appropriate DUNS number. At the confirmation, click Yes to complete the action.
There are three eligibility options. At least one of these options must be selected for the Institution to be eligible to submit grant applications. Information links for each type of opportunity provide additional information. The three types are:
- NIH Grants/Contracts - This is the most common type of registration and is required for any application that is funded by NIH.
- Non-NIH Grants/Contracts - This type of registration will let you submit applications for other agencies that use NIH eRA systems (i.e. SAMHSA).
- Other Transaction Authority (OTA) opportunities - This type of opportunity is for a type of funding that is neither grants nor contracts and is being used across NIH.
NIH Grants/Contracts - The Institution certifies that it is eligible to apply for grants or contracts that are
Federal-Wide Assurance Numbers
The Federal-Wide Assurance (FWA) is the only type of new assurance of compliance accepted and approved by the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) for institutions engaged in non-exempt human subjects research conducted or supported by HHS.
- To add an FWA number to the profile, click the Add button to display the editable text field. Enter the FWA number into this field.
- To edit an FWA number, simply update the value in the editable text fields.
- To remove an FWA number, click the Remove button next to the appropriate number. At the confirmation, click Yes to complete the action.
Animal Welfare Assurance Number
The Animal Welfare Assurance is a document an institution and all performance sites involving animal research must have on file with the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) before being awarded a grant or contract.
The Animal Welfare Assurance Number field displays the number passed to Commons from OLAW. If existing, numbers in parentheses () represents the old format number corresponding to the new format. This field is not editable.
The Primary DUNS, Organization Type, and Ownership Control are read-only fields populated with organizational information on file. The Primary DUNS field reflects the primary DUNS number provided during the original institution registration. This number is not editable through Commons. To make changes to the primary DUNS, please contact the eRA Service Desk for assistance.
When you are done, click the Save All button at the top or bottom of the profile to save the changes. You can edit other components of the profile before saving your changes by clicking the View buttons of those components. The Save All button saves the changes made in all components.
If you do not wish to save your changes, click the Discard Changes button instead.
Only Commons users with the signing official (SO) role can edit the Institution Profile. An exception exists for institutions that have a TTO administrator but no signing official. For these institutions, the TTO administrator can edit all sections of the profile.
For institutions with both a signing official and TTO administrator, the TTO administrator can edit only the Extramural Technology Transfer Administration component.