Overview of FOAM
The Funding Opportunity Announcement Module (FOAM) was launched with the vision of end-to-end support for the ICs at NIH and our agency partners in development of funding announcements and guide notices from initial draft through publication in the NIH Guide.
Currently, FOA and Notice writers are using Word templates that they submit in FOAM. Starting in January 2018, FOAM will gradually transition to online templates for FOAs and Notices that replace the use of Word templates. During this transition, ICs can choose to develop announcements within FOAM or develop and refine announcements offline before uploading to FOAM.
- Create IC-specific configurable, reusable task workflows to track and monitor the announcement lifecycle
- Review, revise, approve Word template FOAs and notices
- Create timeline comparisons
- Develop reports
- Define task details including due dates, milestones, expiration dates, privileges, assignments, dependencies, and phases
- Customize and edit content and collaborate online to define content that conforms to built-in agency-level FOA templates
- Visually display data
- Streamlines the process of creating a FOA
- Reduces number of systems used
- Adds visual representations of data for FOAs, such as a display of milestones to monitor
- Improves tracking and reporting by marking critical business process events and deadline dates
- Enables online collaboration with colleagues to develop and share data content
- Enables parallel reviews, in system tracking of changes and in-line comments, along with the capability to upload and save documents
- Enables reuse of FOA data: auto generation of critique templates and capture of discrete due dates
- Sends notifications to users based on events such as: FOA review/approval required; FOA reviewed/approved; milestone approaching; milestone missed
- Reduces duplicate data entry by Guide Liaisons and improves data quality
Who can use FOAM?
- Program Officials and others involved with the FOA development process
- FOA coordinators and NIH Guide Liaisons need the FOAM_ADMIN role. Other contributors receive access when assigned FOA tasks
- OEP Policy Reviewers
How does one get a FOAM account?
- ICs and agency staff must contact their eRA IMPAC II IC Coordinator to obtain a FOAM account
- Any OD staff who need access to FOAM to submit Notices should contact the eRA Service Desk and specify that they want FOAM administrative access specifically as a member of OD/OER/<your specific office here>. If you do not have an eRA account, please follow the steps outlined in OD Account Requests.
- FOAM Training Resources
- FOAM online help
- For help, please contact eraFOAMsupport@mail.nih.gov or your IC Guide Liaison (look for your IC rep in NIHGuideLiaisons@nih.gov in the global)
How does one access FOAM?