What is the purpose?
The Grants Management module enables the grantor agency to document the administrative review in conjunction with issuing grant awards. It also provides a variety of functions connected to issuing awards including workload management tools and includes the ability to assign grants to grants management or program staff for individual records or by creating batch assignment rules.
What are the features of Grants Management?
The Award portion of the GM module provides the following functionality:
- Ability to manage workload and query eRA system for grant records
- Ability to process all award types
- Ability to document administrative reviews prior to issuing all awards. This includes updating IMPACII data elements, capturing responses to standard and agency-specific checklist items (see separate document on Customizable Checklists), including capturing comments by both Program and Grants Management Officials (GMO).
- Allows users to enter and update or revise budget information for all years of an award
- Allows users to import budget information from local spreadsheets (Lotus or Excel)
- Allows users to create records when appropriate for administrative extensions (T-4s), change of grantee institution (T-7), change of organization status (T-6), and administrative supplements (T-3) for awarded grants
- User can edit, verify, change and/or update address, phone, and e-mail information for Principal Investigators, Business Officials and Applicant/Grantee Organizations associated with a particular record (Note these are considered role records and do not interface with any of the institutional roles established in the eRA Commons)
- User can change the Principal Investigator associated with a grant or grants
- User can co-fund a grant award utilizing funds provided by other sources of funding.
- The application provides a series of rule based edit checks to verify the integrity of the data and to look for possible errors in the data entry before release of the award
- Using role-based rights, assures appropriate checks and balances by establishing internal controls for authority for data entry vs. authority for signing awards
- Includes ability to capture sign-offs of Grants Management Specialists (GMS) & GMO processing the award
- Generates and stores a PDF Notice of Award (NoA) [formerly Notice of Grant Award (NGA)]. The NoA automatically includes some standard Terms of Award. The application also provides the ability to import agency-created ‘terms and conditions’ into the application for inclusion in the NoA.
- After obligation, the grantee can receive the NoA through an eNotification. The NoA is also accessible by the grantee in the eRA Commons
- The new Notice of Award put into production in 2007 provides greater flexibility for agencies to modify the actual award letter, and accommodates custom templates for each agency
- Each evening the system also generates a report to satisfy the Congressional Liaison Office notification requirement
The Assignment portion of GM allows for the assignment of an individual or group of grants to grants management staff.
GM is also used to process Individual Fellowship Activations.
What is the benefit?
The Grants Management module provides a comprehensive electronic tool for the Grants Management business area to conduct and document the administrative side of the grant process. By organizing the work of grant management into a rule-driven process, the module enables the funding agency to manage grants more effectively.
Who can use Grants Management?
Grants management staff at the grantor agency have access to the Grants Management module. The module is accessible through IMPAC II to authorized users only.